3598975 PARTS GP-MISC Caterpillar parts PARTS
Alternative (cross code) number:
Parts stock action only
PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM FOR INSPECTING AND POSSIBLY REWORKING 0R9749, 0R9750, AND 148-2144 CYLINDER HEADS IN DEALER PARTS STOCK
When submitting claim for Parts Stock Action, Use the appropriate 99Z as the s/n, the appropriate Service Letter Program Number as the Part number in the Part Causing Failure field, "7751" as the Group Number, "56" as the Description Code.
The information supplied in this service letter may not be valid after the termination date of this program.Do not perform the work outlined in this Service Letter after the termination date without first contacting your Caterpillar product analyst.
Some C10/C12 Cylinder Heads were assembled with intake and exhaust valves in the incorrect position. Installation of incorrectly assembled cylinder heads will result in an early hour failure.
Refer to Dissassembly and Assembly manuals as needed.
Inspect all 0R9749, 0R9750, and 148-2144 cylinder heads in Dealer Parts Stock for the incorrect installation of the exhaust and intake valves.
1. Inspect each cylinder head combustion deck to verify the valves are installed in the correct location. (Image 1)
- If the valves ARE installed in the correct locations, return the cylinder head to its original packaging, mark the container to indicate the head has been inspected according to PI7#### / REBE5190, and return the head to dealer parts stock.
- If the valves are NOT installed in the correct locations, the cylinder head will need to be reworked. Proceed to STEP 2.
2. Inspect the valves to verify the valves do not extend past the surface of the combustion deck.
- If a valve extends past the surface of the combustion deck, mark the valve to note that it was past the combustion deck. These valves will need to be replaced with new parts of the same part number (in the correct location) and should not be reused.
- If a valve does NOT extend past the surface of the combustion deck, it can be reused.
3. Remove the valves from the cylinder head. Do not reuse valves that were identified to extend past the combustion deck.
4. Assemble the cylinder head with the valves in the correct locations.
Valves identified in Step 2 as extending past the combustion deck need to be replaced with new parts of the same part number when installing the valves in the correct locations.
5. Return the cylinder head to its original packaging, mark the container to indicate the head has been inspected and reworked according to PI7#### / REBE5190, and return the head to dealer parts stock.
SERVICE CLAIM ALLOWANCES
0.3 hour will be allowed for parts requiring inspection only, with no rework necessary.
An additional 0.5 hour will be allowed for each cylinder head that is reworked in Dealer Parts Stock.
Handle the parts in accordance with your Warranty Bulletin on warranty parts handling.