3599234 PLATE Caterpillar parts PLATE
Alternative (cross code) number:
This part in 3 request: Show. This information for suppliers only!
Certain Remanufactured cylinder packs for 3500 and D-Series Engines may have mis-assembled 7M-4926, 8N-7296, or 253-1238 Piston Pin Retainers. The piston pin retainers may not have been seated properly. A missing or improperly seated piston pin retainer could result in engine damage.
The suspect cylinder pack part numbers are as follows:
All packaging labels of the part numbers listed above require inspection.
Refer to Image1. If the date code on the packaging label is before D01M03Y12P68HL (March, 1. 2012) then the following options are available:
Inspect only cylinder packs with a date code label having "P68HL" following the date code.
1. If the date code on the packaging label is before D01M03Y12P68HL (March, 1. 2012), return the cylinder packs, with the suspect date codes, that will not be used within 3 months.
1. Inspect the affected cylinder packs in dealer parts stock.
2. Inspect the date code on the package label to determine if any of the affected cylinder packs have date codes before D01M03Y12P68HL (March, 1. 2012).
If the packaging date code IS NOT before D01M03Y12P68HL, then mark the box to indicate that the cylinder pack has been inspected according to this program (PI7####) and return the cylinder pack to dealer parts stock.
If the date code IS before D01M03Y12P68HL, then inspection of the cylinder pack is necessary.
3. For monotherm pistons, the use of a borescope can be employed in order to view each end of the pin.
4. If borescope is not available, then slide the piston and connecting rod toward the bottom of the cylinder liner. Slide the piston and connecting rod far enough to allow inspection of the piston pin retainers.
Do not slide the piston far enough to expose the piston rings.
5. Inspect both piston pin retainers to insure they are properly seated in the groove. Refer to Image2 for properly installed retainer.
6. If both the piston pin retainers are properly seated, reassemble and repackage the cylinder pack, mark the package to indicate the cylinder pack has been inspected according to PI7#### / REBE8166, and return the part to dealer parts stock.
If a piston pin retainer is missing, install a new retainer with 1P-1861 Retaining Ring Pliers. Orient the piston pin retainer toward the top of piston. Refer to the engine's Disassembly and Assembly manual. Reassemble and repackage the cylinder pack, mark the package to indicate the cylinder pack has been inspected according to PI7#### / REBE8166, and return the part to dealer parts stock. Refer to Image3 for the correct part number of piston pin retainer for the cylinder pack.
SERVICE CLAIM ALLOWANCES
0.5 hour will be allowed for each cylinder pack in dealer parts stock that is inspected, and/or reworked.Submit one claim for all cylinder packs in dealer parts stock that are either inspected, and/or reworked, or returned.
***** NACD *****
Hold all cylinder packs for a Parts Return Request (PRR). A Parts Return Request (PRR) will be issued to you through the Send-It-Back process after the claim is submitted. Make sure to list the service letter program number on the